3M™ Glass Bubbles K1 are engineered hollow glass microspheres made of water-resistant and chemically resistant soda-lime borosilicate glass with a true density of 0.125 g/cm³ and an isostatic crush strength of 250 psi / 17 bar.
- Reduced Non Productive Time (NPT)
- Improved well integrity
- Increased well productivity
When drilling and cementing across highly depleted zones and weaker formations, low density systems are required to prevent or minimize fluid loss/lost circulation, formation damage and other problems associated with excessive overbalance conditions. Our 3M Glass bubbles offer stability by maintaining target pressures with greater reliability throughout the drilling process. Minimizing the differential pressure (bottom hole pressure minus reservoir pressure) is essential for the success of any drilling operation.
Learn more about 3M™ Glass Bubbles — HGS Series
(PDF, 198.74 Kb)
3M™ Glass Bubbles HGS8000X in Cementing
3M glass bubbles HGS8000X added to light weight cement slurries help prevent problems associated with excessive overbalance, including reduced top of cement (TOC) and thus the need for remedial squeeze. Additional benefits include the potential for:
- Reduced wait-on-cement (WOC)
- Reduced need for multi-staging
When compared with other microspheres, cementing with HGS8000X in moderate to deep wells offers:
Learn more about 3M™ Glass Bubbles for Cements
- Consistency batch-to-batch and location-to-location
- Greater density reduction capacity (cement slurry density values below 9.0 lb/gal (1.1 Kg/l) have been achieved)
(PDF, 138.87 Kb)
3M Glass Bubbles HGS8000X in Drilling, Completion and Workover Fluids
The use of light weight completion and work-over fluids made with 3M glass bubbles HGS8000X help reduce and control the bottom-hole pressure, offering the potential for reduced fluid loss and lost circulation — as well as preventing or minimizing formation damage. 3M glass bubbles HGS8000X in completion and workover fluids are:
- More economical and allow for a greater density reduction window than synthetic oils
- Compatible with both water based and oil based systems
- Resistant to harsh downhole conditions
3M glass bubbles HGS Series are specially formulated for high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for greater survivability under demanding downhole conditions. The durability also allows for possible reconditioning and reuse of lightweight fluid to help reduce costs; this is achieved with our 3M glass bubbles HGS8000X— an economical product that is compatible with both water and oil based systems.
Learn more about 3M™ Glass Bubbles for Drilling
(PDF, 218.79 Kb)
Repeated Use Increases Efficiency, Saves Money
3M glass bubbles HGS Series are specially formulated for high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for greater survivability under demanding downhole conditions. The durability also allows for possible reconditioning and reuse of lightweight fluid to help reduce costs. When HGS8000X are added to the drilling fluid and they remain there while circulating through solids control equipment, including shale shakers, hydro cyclones and centrifuges. The tiny bubbles remain dispersed in water, or oil-based drilling fluid for repeated use, allowing solids to be removed without losing the glass bubbles.
Additionally, 3M glass bubbles HGS8000X are:
- Light: when synthetic oils are used as base fluid, densities as low as 5.5 lb/gal (0.66 Kg/l) can be achieved
- Tiny: with 26 micron average size, HGS8000X remain in the fluid when circulating through solids control equipment, including shale shakers, hydro cyclones and centrifuges
- Tough: resistant to shear and impact forces when circulating through bit nozzles and impacting formation walls
This product offers the potential for higher performance through increased rate of penetration (ROP) and can reduce costs through reconditioning and reuse of lightweight fluid.
Learn more about 3M™ Glass Bubbles
(PDF, 1.2 Mb)